Some people crave cardio, while others cringe at the sound of the it. While most people think of running or walking as a cardio workout, a group cardio fitness class can be a refreshing change of pace. Cardio classes include a variety of movements and exercises to get the heart rate pumping.
What is cardio? Cardio is short for cardiovascular exercise. Cardio exercises can vary greatly, but at the core, it includes movement that increases blood circulation throughout the body and increases your heart rate.
Here are 3 reasons to try a group fitness class focused on cardio:
1. Health benefits. While many people do cardio for weight loss, there are other health benefits too. Regular cardio strengthens the heart and lungs. Some people experience a reduction in stress and anxiety and an increase in energy.
When paired with other movements such as strengthening exercises and stretching like Pilates and yoga, cardio can increase your strength, flexibility and endurance. When paired with more vigorous exercises including kickboxing, step aerobics, and interval training, cardio can increase your strength and agility. Whatever the focus, there are many health benefits to get your blood flowing!
2. Cardio can be an activity to do with family and friends. While many people can find satisfaction in exercising alone, there is also the opportunity to make it an activity to do with family or friends. Having any type of regular exercise routine, especially cardio, is a great way to set an example of healthy living for your partner, spouse, or children. Try out a class together to make family time an active time, too.
3. Cardio doesn't have to be running. Cardio doesn't just involve jogging and walking. It can involve so many different movements that keeps a workout interesting. Different classes offer different varieties of cardio, each with their own additional benefits.
Ethos offers many classes with a focus on cardio, but each one is different, so you can find the one that works best for your interests!
- CTS, or Cardio Tone and Stretch, is a combination of cardio, strength, and stretching.
- Camp Cardio includes kickboxing, step aerobics, interval and strength training, bosu balance exercises, and more.
- Cardio Time is a class that will get your heart pumping with hi/lo aerobics during odd months and step aerobics during even months.
- Interval Remix is sure to burn the calories with intervals and cardio segments of circuits, ladders all in just 45 minutes.
- Strong is a class designed by Zumba® that is a conditioning-style workout with high-intensity interval training.
- Zumba® and Zumba® Toning incorporate dance routines and rhythms to increase your heart rate. Zumba® Toning adds on with light weights for a combination of cardio and toning.
Whether you're looking to start a cardio class for your own health or increase some active time with family, it's easy to jump right in!